Halifax Plc has been taking its position on the High Street very seriously and has left nothing to chance. The development of its new flagship branch, now situated on New Oxford Street, was a significant undertaking not least because it is, in fact, the biggest bank branch in Britain.
It was very much a priority for the Halifax to put their flagship store through its ‘virtual’ paces and get buy-in from all the relevant stakeholders before turning it into a reality. This was made possible by working in collaboration with Honest, to create the interior design for the branch, and then with Lucid Environments, to realise and explore that design within a virtual 3D environment.
How the interactive App worked
In order to give stakeholders an appreciation for the building’s interior, an interactive App enabled the user to navigate their way through the branch. It included the following elements:
- Data layers combined with aerial imagery – set the initial scene and gave context to the branch’s location;
- 3D building model – included separable and stackable levels to give easy access to every area and assist with navigation;
- Real-time walk-through – enables the user to plot their own course and investigate the space as they choose;
- Video tour with 360-degree view options throughout – allows the user to be guided through the space but gives them the autonomy to opt for better views at any point by pausing the video and having a ‘better look’.
- Hotspots – flag up significant areas of interest with the branch.